Welcome To The Image And The Word
7th Annual Exhibit - 2014
Photographers & Poets - thank you for another wave of artistry and creativity. All submissions are received and the exhibit is "on the wall" as of Feb 20th.
Everyone please note the change in opening reception schedule (see the thumbtack note on the left)!
The Image and the Word is a photography-inspires-poetry art exhibit annually produced by Derek Liebertz and Yvonne Cariveau with the wonderful cooperation of the Southern MN Poetry Society and the Bend of the River Photography Club. This year's exhibition will be shown from February 20, 2014 through March 19, 2014 at the Emy Frentz Guild (located at 523 S. 2nd Street, Mankato, MN).
We now have a confirmed secondary showing! The exhibit will travel to the North Mankato and be on display at the public library from May 3, 2014 through May 30, 2014 (located at 1001 Belgrade Ave, North Mankato, MN).
Here's How It Goes...
- Photographers submit photos for consideration.
- Photos are reviewed and finalists are chosen for display. (we notify the photographers)
- Poets write poems inspired by the selected photos.
- Framed photos and mounted poems are hung in the Emy Frentz Guild gallery.
- Fun reception - performance art event - with poets and photographers, wine and yummy snacks and a fun vote for favorites.
- The public comes and enjoys the images and poems and sometimes they buy the ones they like best to hang in their office or home.
2013 Winners as voted by the opening reception crowd:
- Favorite poem - Mama Gaia by Esther Marcella, Retirement by Susan Stevens Chambers and Metal Dream by Henry Panowitsch
- Favorite picture - "The Old Allis" photo by John Othoudt
- Favorite pairing - Seeking the Chalmers by Christina Flaugher and "The Old Allis" photo by John Othoudt
2012 Winners as voted by the opening reception crowd:
- Favorite poem - Window by John Calvin Rezmerski
- Favorite picture - The Witness Tree by Kay Helms
- Favorite pairing - Artists Colors by Terri DeGazelle and the accompanying poem by Susan Stevens Chambers
Sample videos of poems being read:
Accepting photo submissions for the Feb 2015 exhibit